Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pita Pizza

This summer, Jason and I have really tried, when we aren't traveling, to eat all three meals at home, instead of being tempted to run out and get something.  We have made some massive trips to the grocery store, but as a result, we have had some great successes in learning to fix a filling, usually healthy lunch while we are at home all day.  It is easy for me at home to snack, but when we make a concerted effort to make a "real" lunch, I find that I don't munch on chips or cookies as often.

I have to give full credit for this recipe to Jason and Men's Health magazine.  Jason introduced me to this recipe when he was on one of his Abs Diet kicks (which he is back on again...sometimes I hate how easily he can lose weight, when I struggle so much).

What I love about this recipe is that it is one of my favorite foods, pizza, but done in a way that makes it healthy, and the perfect portion for lunch.  The ingredients are minimal and common in most households.

Pita Pizza

Ingredients
whole wheat pitas
marinara sauce (or other pizza/tomato sauce you like -- We LOVE Kroger's organic marinara sauce...it has a great flavor.)
shredded mozzarella cheese
*any other pizza toppings you like/have on hand (I make mine plain cheese, but Jason likes Canadian bacon on his.)

Steps
1) Preheat oven to 475.

2) Place pitas on baking sheet. (I use my Pampered Chef pizza stone b/c I think it cooks the best.)

3) Spoon marinara sauce onto pitas. (I like a lot of sauce, so I use about 3 tablespoons per pita.)

4) Sprinkle cheese on top of sauce, as little or as much as you like.
5) Add any other pizza toppings you like.

6)  Bake for 6 minutes.

7) Remove from oven, let cool, and cut into slices.



Even Connor likes these easy pita pizzas!  Hope you enjoy!

No comments: