Monday, February 20, 2012

Shrimp and Bacon Stuffed Baby Potatoes

I found this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite 2012 Cookbook.  My friend Carrie-Nell and I were celebrating New Year's Eve together when we saw the recipe, and I knew immediately that with my love of shrimp (and carbs) I'd have to try it.

My only complaint with the final product is that since I used frozen shrimp (really our only option here in RC), the shrimp itself was still a bit flavorless, despite all the flavors in the rest of the dish.  Any advice on that issue would be greatly appreciated.  I also changed the wording of the recipe a bit, because it was confusing at times.

Besides that, it was a delicious meal that we'll definitely have again.

Here goes:

Ingredients:
14 small new potatoes
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (I actually Googled what seafood seasoning was and just mixed up my own batch with spices I already had.)
1 7-to-8-ounce package frozen peeled shrimp (thawed, drained, and chopped)
4 oz. cream cheese
1 cub shredded Gouda cheese
5 slices bacon (cooked, drained, and crumbled)
1/4 cub fresh chives (optional)


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise.
3. Scoop out potato pulp (potatoes have not been cooked), leaving 1/4 inch shells.  Toss the potato pulp.
4. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each potato to make it stand upright. (This really helped.)
5. Place potatoes, cut sides up, in a baking pan.
6. In a bowl combine mustard, oil, and 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning.  Brush insides of potato shells with this mixture.
7. Bake for 30 min.
8. While potatoes are cooking, make filling using shrimp, cream cheese, Gouda cheese, bacon, and the other teaspoon of seafood seasoning.
9. Spoon filling into shells.
10. Bake for 12-15 min., until filling is heated through and cheese is melted.
11. Garnish with chives.

shells, not yet cooked

mustard mixture

shrimp, cream cheese mixture

cooked shells, filled with shrimp mixture

finished product


The magazine called for this to be an appetizer, but it made a delicious meal, along with some veggies, for our little family.  Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

JCP Eats, www.jcpeats.com said...

This looks delicious!

Courtney B said...

Oh my goodness... this sounds/looks AMAZING! I will definitely be trying this recipe out!