The main highlights of the week include:
- Monday was the day I had been dreading for weeks. Our entire district (elementary, middle, and high school, as well as central office, vocational school, etc...) was meeting as a faculty to begin the school year, and I was on the program to update the district on the progress of our English Leadership Network. Give me 125 students every day to talk to and I am fine, but other adults make me NERVOUS. I was anxious, but I had lots of people praying for me, and I made it through the 10 min. or so, said everything I intended, only nearly dropped the PowerPoint remote once, and didn't fall or pass out. I considered it a successful speaking engagement. :)
- Tuesday was our last official day of summer, and we spent it grocery shopping, lounging at the pool with Connor, and appreciating the last day of being together, all three of us, all day long on a weekday. It was a little bittersweet, but I try to always remind myself how blessed I am to have so much time with Connor.
- Wednesday was the day most teachers dread, the first day of school. It is always awkward to introduce yourself and explain who you are, what you expect, etc... to a group of teens who are often looking at you as though they either don't care or have no idea what you are saying. However, my year got off to a smoother start than ever before. The students were wonderful, attentive, and even participated without hesitation on the very first day. It was wonderful. I was exhausted by the time I got home, but it was a good day. Connor stayed with Dad on that first day, and of course, instead of crying for me, he cried when "Pots" (my dad) left our house to head home. Great job making me feel missed, Connor.
- Thursday and today I was actually able to start working on our first unit of the year, short stories, and I already feel in a groove with these new freshmen. It is remarkable how comfortable I already feel teaching them. This is the best start to a year I have had in quite a while. I am hoping that means even better things are to come once I truly get to know them, their needs, strengths, weaknesses, etc...
- Tonight Mom and I were invited to a Pampered Chef party hosted by one of the sweetest people I know and her daughter-in-law. Teresa and Kim Morrison. It was a joy to meet Kim, the food was delicious, and best of all, there were cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake (They are known from their show on TLC, DC Cupcakes.) at the party...seriously! You probably have noticed by now that cupcakes are one of my favorite things in life, and I was super excited to try one. There were way too many flavors for my mind to comprehend, so I chose strawberry. It was delicious, probably the third best cupcake I've ever had, behind Sprinkles' black and white cupcake and SugaSisters' chocolate with vanilla buttercream (SugaSisters are a local cupcakery run by two lovely ladies. Check out their blog here.).
|strawberry cupcake from Georgetown Cupcake|
Random photos for the week:
|We recently bought Connor a potty. He has really done nothing but 'pretend' to use it, but maybe it's a start.|
|Once Connor found out that we were going back to school, he had to put on his "packpack" and get ready for his new daycare.|
|Connor loves wearing Daddy's sunglasses|
|This morning Connor decided that since we were leaving him for the day, he's get up at 5:45 and keep us company by watching "Yo Gabba Gabba" while Jason and I got ready.|
Hoping for a restful weekend and an easy first full week of school next week! Hoping you are blessed as well!