Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Facts and Photos

I can't believe it's already been a week since I posted about our last weekend before the start of school.  In some ways this week has flown by, but in others it feels as though we have done so many things that there is no possible way it could all fit into a week's time.

The main highlights of the week include:

- Friday night and Sat. afternoon/evening were spent at our church's marriage retreat.  The focus was on love languages, both discerning them for ourselves and our spouse, and then learning how to appeal to the primary love language of our spouse.  Not surprisingly, my primary love language was words of affirmation, and my secondary was acts of service.  Jason's primary language was a tie between words of affirmation and gifts.  We learned practical ways to help our spouse feel loved in "their" language, and Jason did a great job.  On Monday, after a long day at school and taking care of Connor, this is what I found, which I blogged about here:


I was blessed to not only be a part of the retreat as a listener (at least for the first night) but am a part of the marriage team, so I was also involved in decorating, cooking, serving, and even performing in a skit for the retreat.  It was lots of work, but even more fun, and I love the other people with whom I work.  I learn so much from them about serving the Lord in small ways.  Even if I am behind the scenes, pouring drinks or washing dishes, I love being a part of this ministry devoted to helping couples have a romantic, affordable, beneficial night out.  Yet another reason I love our church family.

- Monday was the day I had been dreading for weeks.  Our entire district (elementary, middle, and high school, as well as central office, vocational school, etc...) was meeting as a faculty to begin the school year, and I was on the program to update the district on the progress of our English Leadership Network.  Give me 125 students every day to talk to and I am fine, but other adults make me NERVOUS.  I was anxious, but I had lots of people praying for me, and I made it through the 10 min. or so, said everything I intended, only nearly dropped the PowerPoint remote once, and didn't fall or pass out.  I considered it a successful speaking engagement.  :)

- Tuesday was our last official day of summer, and we spent it grocery shopping, lounging at the pool with Connor, and appreciating the last day of being together, all three of us, all day long on a weekday.  It was a little bittersweet, but I try to always remind myself how blessed I am to have so much time with Connor.

- Wednesday was the day most teachers dread, the first day of school.  It is always awkward to introduce yourself and explain who you are, what you expect, etc... to a group of teens who are often looking at you as though they either don't care or have no idea what you are saying.  However, my year got off to a smoother start than ever before.  The students were wonderful, attentive, and even participated without hesitation on the very first day.  It was wonderful.  I was exhausted by the time I got home, but it was a good day.  Connor stayed with Dad on that first day, and of course, instead of crying for me, he cried when "Pots" (my dad) left our house to head home.  Great job making me feel missed, Connor. 

- Thursday and today I was actually able to start working on our first unit of the year, short stories, and I already feel in a groove with these new freshmen.  It is remarkable how comfortable I already feel teaching them.  This is the best start to a year I have had in quite a while.  I am hoping that means even better things are to come once I truly get to know them, their needs, strengths, weaknesses, etc...

- Tonight Mom and I were invited to a Pampered Chef party hosted by one of the sweetest people I know and her daughter-in-law. Teresa and Kim Morrison.  It was a joy to meet Kim, the food was delicious, and best of all, there were cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake (They are known from their show on TLC, DC Cupcakes.) at the party...seriously!  You probably have noticed by now that cupcakes are one of my favorite things in life, and I was super excited to try one.  There were way too many flavors for my mind to comprehend, so I chose strawberry.  It was delicious, probably the third best cupcake I've ever had, behind Sprinkles' black and white cupcake and SugaSisters' chocolate with vanilla buttercream (SugaSisters are a local cupcakery run by two lovely ladies.  Check out their blog here.).


strawberry cupcake from Georgetown Cupcake



Random photos for the week:



We recently bought Connor a potty.  He has really done nothing but 'pretend' to use it, but maybe it's a start.

Once Connor found out that we were going back to school, he had to put on his "packpack" and get ready for his new daycare.


This proud mommy had to show off how well C did on his first day with a new sitter.  We miss our previous one, but C has adjusted so well and loves his new spot!  Such an answer to prayer...finding someone who loves our little guy just as much as our last sitter is priceless.


Connor loves wearing Daddy's sunglasses



This morning Connor decided that since we were leaving him for the day, he's get up at 5:45 and keep us company by watching "Yo Gabba Gabba" while Jason and I got ready.


Hoping for a restful weekend and an easy first full week of school next week!  Hoping you are blessed as well!

5 comments:

Ashley.Rhea said...

My aunt was the pampered chef lady at teresas party! i was going to go but decided to stay home! :)

Ali said...

That cupcake looks delicious!! I've never been a huge cupcake fan but I think I need to jump on the bandwagon because mmmm that looks good!

I'm glad your first day of school went well & I hope that means the rest of the year will be just as fabulous!

ps. did you get the bracelet I sent you?

Laura Ashley said...

Ashley -- My mom knew her from high school! We had a great time!

Ali -- Cupcakes are my favorite, and this one was delicious! I did receive the bracelet, and I LOVE it! It is gorgeous, and I have already been wearing it to school! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good start to the school year! I also love cupcakes- and that one looks heavenly!

Jazmin @ My Little Memory Jar said...

Aw. We've always wanted to go to a marriage retreat! Need to look into that soon! And I adore pampered chef! That cupcake is tempting. :o)

♥Jazmin