Sunday, April 29, 2012

Big Apple Adventure

Jason and I were blessed to be able to, for the second year, help chaperone my school's senior trip to New York City, with a stop in Gettysburg on the way up.

This group of students is extra special to me, because many of them were students of mine both their freshmen and sophomore years, and they were my students when Connor was born, so many of them have seen me and known me through a time of great excitement and change, and I have grown especially close to several of them.




It doesn't matter how many times I visit NYC, there is something magical about this city and everything it has to offer.  I love every moment of hustle and bustle, of watching and looking and learning, and more than anything, I love seeing the city through the eyes of our students, most of whom are visiting for the first time.

I love seeing their faces as they see the skyline for the first time.

I love watching as they take in the majesty at the top of the Empire State Building.



I love their wide eyes at seeing Times Square for the first time, especially at night.





I love watching a Broadway play with them, and seeing even the boys sniffle at an emotional moment on stage.




I love seeing them view the Statue of Liberty up close and taking in the skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge from the water.





I love the food in NYC, especially Carmine's penne alla vodka and calamari.




I love walking to Sprinkles, even if it was a 12 block trek each way.





I really love Central Park and how secluded it feels in the middle of such an enormous city.







I love seeing the majesty of a church like St. John the Divine.








I love seeing the city rebuild and renew after tragedy, giving hope to all of us that we can overcome.




I am so thankful, as always, for the opportunity to travel, especially with Jason, these (fantastic, well-behaved, kind, soon-to-be-missed) seniors, and the other chaperones, who provided fun, memories, and more laughter in five days than should be allowed.  I am also thankful for my family who watched (and spoiled) Connor while we were gone.  I could rest easy in NYC knowing he was well cared for, although I still missed him terribly.

Home and my boy were a sight for sore eyes, but I hope another visit to the Big Apple is in our future, because I miss it a little already.




1 comment:

Courtney B said...

What an AMAZING opportunity! It looks like you had SO much fun! I can't wait to vacation to NYC someday.... until then I LOVE seeing all the gorgeous pictures :)