Friday, December 16, 2011

Real Friends

I received my first Christmas gift of the season today, from one of my favorite people in the world.  She is a friend with whom I also get to teach every day.  She is a great listener, is always compassionate, and loves all things fashion and girly, which made us fast friends.  She also happens to be a talented photographer and has taken some of my favorite photos of our family and especially my sweet boy.

Imagine my delight when this showed up (via a student) in my classroom this morning:


which I opened to reveal


a book repurposed into a journal...perfect for this nerdy, word-loving girl.



And inscribed on the inside was a quote that brought tears to my eyes:

If this is the standard, then I am utterly successful.  I am blessed with the most wonderful friends, from people like Candice whom I see every day, to my family, to friends who live far away, but with whom I am able to communicate instantly via Facebook, Twitter, and the blogging world.

Thank you to those true friends, for calling me out, for making me be real, and for holding me accountable.

Next time I complain, may I look at this journal and be reminded of how rich in friendship I am.

2 comments:

JCP Eats, www.jcpeats.com said...

What a great present!

Max and Jay said...

That is an AWESOME idea! I want one made from an old copy of either Catcher in the Rye, or Anne of Green Gables.